- Implications for governors of joining an academy chain Local Governing Bodies
- “Ten Governor” looks at questions that governors might ask about academy conversion in an article that is freely available to non-subscribers, and which provides links to DfE pages and other sites.
- January 2012: Channel 4 Fact Check for some background information.
- Feb 2011: Discussion Process for Governing Body considering becoming an Academy
The first question might be: Are we, as a Governing Body, at all interested in pursuing Academy status? Advice: Take into consideration the view of the headteacher and the view expressed by staff governors about likely feelings of staff, and, if a church school, obtain the views of the diocese. The Governing Body would then set up a working party to obtain and consider more details, and to make a recommendation to the Governing Body. (Read more)
- The Consultation Process Who to consult, and when?
- Academies Funding, and Costs of becoming an Academy How much money will we get? (See also DfE Academy Funding Arrangements)
- Academies Law (The main links in this introductory section are to School Governing’s blog. Acknowledgements to Sean Whetstone)
- Chains of Academies – an outline of how schools can become part of an Academy group, even if they are not Outstanding.
- Article (Autumn 2010) :Academy schools – who benefits? Stephen Machin and James Vernoit
- My school has become an Academy – what now?
- How academy governance works – advice from SGOSS (Governors for Schools)
NGA Academies FAQ Version 9 (advice for members of National Governors Association)
Schools World TV: Several short programmes in a series “Thinking of becoming an academy“
- The Academies Act 2010 - Legislation
- A Hampshire school’s set of FAQs
Not in favour
- Anti Academies Alliance
- NAHT Union
- NUT (National Union of Teachers)
- NASUWT Union
- ATL Association of Teachers and Lecturers
- Voice the Union
- Three Unions Letter to Chairs of Governors Three unions letter to chairs
- Three Union Briefing Notes for School Governors
- A Governor’s view: “Some lessons learned“
- Kevin Courtney NUT speaks against primary academies (You Tube)
- Anti Academies Alliance National Secretary speaks against academies (You Tube)
- Department of Education
- DfE Academies FAQ
- DfE Conversion Process
- Specialist Schools and Academies Trust (SSAT)
- Church of England Academies
- The National Society and Association of Anglican Diocesan Directors of Education
- Catholic Education Services Views of Academies
- DfE Youtube Links on Academies Programme 1 Programme 2 Programme 3
- Funding DfE Funding for Academies
- See also: A Guide to Becoming a Trust School (Word doc)
- DfE Free Schools information
Report published April 2011 Changing School Autonomy: Academy Schools and their Introduction to England’s Education by Stephen Machin and James Vernoit (Centre for Economics & Education
Research into the leadership of sponsored and converting Academies by the National College